department: advancement, Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra
reports to: director of advancement & leadership giving
full-time position/ exempt
The assistant director of individual giving & annual fund will develop, guide, and implement the strategy for all broad based annual fund giving and act as major gifts officer to cultivate and steward major donors. He/she will be a leader on LACO’s fund-raising team and in efforts related to the annual fund and individual giving, stewardship and donor communications raising just over $400,000 from broad based donors towards an annual department goal of $3,432,700. This position has the directive to expand the broad based program over the next 3 to 5 years.
Specific responsibilities include:
· maintain and grow an assigned portfolio of donors and prospects, in alignment with the department’s major gifts pipeline
· plan, execute and evaluate 6 direct mail appeals, 4 subscription suggested donation appeals, and multiple email appeals
· supervise an Advancement Assistant who will support the work of the administrative functions of the advancement team
· write copy for development websites, emails, newsletter articles, and other fundraising materials;
· manage the donation acknowledgement process including writing letters, managing lists and personalization;
· serve as primary liaison between advancement and finance for gift reconciliation
Skills and Qualifications
- Proactive contributor with strong patron focus and the ability to maintain relationships and create consensus in support of shared outcomes.
- A highly collaboratively work style and ability to thrive in a complex and evolving work environment.
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other stakeholders.
- Self-starter, able to work independently and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
Education: Bachelor's degree in liberal arts or arts related field, advanced degree preferred.
Experience: 3-5 years nonprofit or performing arts experience strongly preferred. Demonstrated experience managing and interacting with major donors, and a working knowledge of fundraising tactics and strategies. Sustained and demonstrated platforms for complex organization required. A working knowledge across a broad spectrum of fundraising functions is required, including broad based, direct mail and fundraising events.
Abilities: Strong teamwork and collaboration required. Ability to maintain objectivity, model behavior, coach others to success, enable a positive work environment, operate efficiently, and demonstrate appropriate use of authority and comprehension of responsibility. Expert ability to lead content strategy and key message development within brand guidelines, able to interpret statistical data, develop budgets, lead financial planning and strategy